Taking care of your dental health can seem overwhelming at times. There is a lot of advice out there, and some of it is contradictory. Here is a list of 8 easy tips to help strip away the fluff and simplify your dental regimen:
1. Brush your teeth twice a day after meals, taking care to spend at least two minutes brushing. This might seem obvious, but many people spend 30 seconds or less brushing their teeth and then call it a day. Make sure to use a soft toothbrush that you replace every three months.
2. Floss once a day. Toothbrushes can’t get all the food particles that are stuck between your teeth, which is why flossing is so important. Focus on one tooth at a time and use fluid, gentle motions as you place the floss between teeth. As long as you do a thorough job, it doesn’t matter if you brush or floss first.
3. Make sure your drinking water contains fluoride, which helps protects teeth from cavities. This is especially important for children.
4. Use a mouthwash. Like fluoride, the right type of mouthwash helps protect your teeth from cavities. It also helps maintain gum health and avoid dry mouth. There are many brands of mouthwash, so make sure to find one you don’t mind using every day.
5. Limit acidic drinks like soda and citrus juice, as these can erode teeth enamel and cause cavities. They also contain a lot of sugar.
6. Stay away from smoking or smokeless tobacco, which can put unnecessary stress on teeth.
7. Rinse after snacking so food particles don’t cling to your teeth and cause cavities.
8. Visit your dentist every six months for your regular cleaning. This way they can keep an eye on your dental health and recommend any necessary changes to your routine.